Apr 16, 2012

He Is Summer





I felt his arrival at the shopping center.
On the clearance rack is where I looked,
finding a short sleeve cotton shirt.
It allowed my coco skin to exhale as I hopped
inside a pair of denim capris. They were
just above the knee to show a little leg.
My slender toes glided into a pair of his saddles.
I remember they were dark brown.

Gosh! There were many summer love's out
buying flowered sun dresses and stunning red heels .
I guess they had discovered him also.
I took off my rose colored shades replacing them
with a tinted pair. Well, today was our day even if I'd
have to share his sultry heat. My mouth puckered as

I applied shimmering lip gloss, smoothing the baby
hairs around my forehead. I wanted to stand out for him.

As the days went by, we drifted apart like sweaty palms
in the setting sun. He was so hot; I thought I might faint.
Still, I had to ask him how much longer  would he stay?
My ears desired to hear __ tomorrow and the next day and
the day after while taking a cool shower. 


Unfortunately, his warm demeanor  slowly began to change. 
My arms had goose bumps from the chilly breeze that seemed to
dominate the air. I needed more heat each day. But, it
wasn't time say goodbye. Yet, I knew he would be leaving soon.
I'll miss him. I'll never forget the way he wiped dripping
ice cream from my chin. 


jhp©2011-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment