Jun 20, 2012

The Hardest Sorrow






Tho, we will never be like fireflies dancing by 
the moonlight- proudly, glowing together.


Those stars that twinkle me a wink, not to seem shy but,
a boast in their fanatical duty, cloaking the universe- above,


And the crickets chirp in harmony as if night will be eternal. 
They'll be making music in love-on one accord, in nature's bliss.


There is a calm, cool mist outdoors. 
It is enough to touch my warm hair.
In a distance, I can hear the 12:00 a.m. train.
Sometimes it's a little late other nights early. 
This is when it hits me the hardest.
I pry back my lids to stop them from falling.


Everything seems to co-exist, like one big festival. 
But, we are not visual like the ordinary couple. 
For disdain parted us upon dead sea scrolls- never 
to be written or read anymore.
Yet, I memorized your ending soliloquy.


Like a cloud that lingers but doesn't rain; it's simply discontent. 
That is I...
Tho, the sun may shine in my windowpane, waking this 
weary soul of a loathing stranger- that is I.


The birds may sing off key and fly upon the treetops,
The frogs may leap onto lily pads happy and free.
There will be no one to speak with such longings.
Only the miserable days greeting me as before,
reminding me, we are flowers and weeds- pulled apart. 
However, they have not felt grief. 
As I glance over them in envious emotion.


Someday, I'll bring in a handful of roses,
smell the misty midnight air as it blows across my tresses. 
Then I'll hear the engine of the 12:00 a.m. train. 
Time takes time...
It will either kill or heal this heavy pain I've acquired. 


jhp©2010-2011 



No comments:

Post a Comment