Sep 4, 2013

Pitching Pennies

born an asset, I made myself
and then I learned it was you
who designed the revolving door
who kept the poverty in poor

ride off my back, I'll hang on
riding your coat tail until hell befalls
send me a postcard from abroad like Tahiti
I shall listen to the seashell and weep

my great, great , uncle was a guard dog
my grandmother ironed uniforms
for free she did, earning very little
but I have a cousin who's a lawyer

reluctantly, I've become his liability
he's deliberately buying me off
a tax write off for a cell phone
a small room with a toilet bowl

I didn't make the rules, I simply follow….
those who throw pennies in a wishing well
and everything seems to benefit The Daisies
a mask coating for the shame and greed

jhp ©2012-2013



No comments:

Post a Comment